Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Getting the repaired web server working.


Fun, fun, fun. So following the demise of Hermes I took him into the
local shop for a checkout. The motherboard had gone too. My face
showed my pain. The techy there suggested he could try and dig out a
new main board. a day later I get a call : he's up and running. Ok, a
bit of a Frankenstein but running. Then the fun begins. How tricky
would it be to get Hermes back online, Transfer all the mysql data and
web stuff I had worked on the past few days for some friends?
Surprisingly easy as it turned out. Firtly Hermes nest doesn't have a
monitor or keyboard so I took him over to my main desktop and borrowed
the monitor and keyboard. I booted Hermes into Debian Lenny without a
glitch. Damn no network. I had been expecting that. So




#ifconfig -a




shows me that it was eth2 I needed to configure. Then a quick edit of /etc/network/interfaces as follows




# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth2
# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth2
iface eth2 inet static
address 192.168.0.101
gateway 192.168.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
dns-nameservers 192.168.0.1




Oh but wait. Hermes used to be a bind9 dns. It's hell to configure. Error prone and total overkill so ….




#sudo aptitude purge bind9




For my uses /etc/hosts will suffice. The its a case of seeing if we can obtain an ip address




#/etc/init.d/networking restart
#ifconfig -a





Success! So I shutdown Hermes, trundled him back to his nest, minus
keyboard and monitor, plugged him in, turned on the power and shazam!
A fully functional Debian Lenny apache/mysql server is up and
running. Total cost of repait including new second hand mainboard with
associated psul? 60 euro. Bargain.



For the rest of the configuration it was simply a case of using ssh login and scp.








--
My Emacs Files At GitHub

No comments:

Post a Comment