Pages

Monday, May 11, 2009

Eclipse under Windows in VirtualBox under Debian

Sometimes one has to admit defeat. I had hoped to set up a Blackberry Development Env in Emacs under Debian. But why bother? I just installed eclipse on Vista running in VirtualBox and it ... just works. Excellent Java parsing/highlighting/navigation. Excellent project facilities. Excellent help. Easy to install the CDT and the Blackberry IDE. Could this be the beginning of the end of my love affair with Emcas? It's just falling too far behind. I liked to think I didn't like the IDE expereince but lets face it, most of my time has been setting up emacs to work as an IDE. I want context help, completion, syntax hiliting, live debugging and rebuilding. But the facts are the facts : and that is simply that Eclipse kicks Emcas arse as a programming IDE (particularly Java) in a lot of areas. Sure its slow (so is emacs) and big (so is emacs) but its just more up to date and theres more happenong on a daily basis. The documentation is better. The only problem with eclipse is that its not emacs.... Emacs will continue to be my org manager and my email and news reader and my erc client. I hope ....

Still, I guess this could be a good chance for me to try emacs 23 under Windows for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment